Wednesday, September 05, 2007

What not to say to your friendly, neighborhood barista

Working at my new job at the UAA Perk in the University Center, here are some of the more witty comments made by staff and students who frequent my little coffee kiosk. Like a bartender, inappropriate disclosure is only one of the many risks my chosen profession subjects me to.

1. I like my coffee like I like my woman; hot and black.

2. Hi, can I have a tall vanilla latte? ( I just said how are you, big mistake) My wife's cheating on me, she's taking the house, the kids and my life is over. Thanks, bye. Have a nice day! (I'm left needing closure!)

3. So, what do you think about suicide? (while I'm making his drink) I had a friend commit suicide and I just never saw it coming. I met Luke Wilson, (Owen Wilson's brother who supposedly tried to slit his wrists) and he seemed like a great guy, why would his brother want to kill himself? Thanks, bye!

What I've learned so far is it's best to ask a person how they are doing that morning, not how they are doing in general. Even just sticking to the present day events can bring on information that I could have done without, but I guess sometimes people just need to be heard and feel listened to. I can't think of anything I would rather be doing for $8.50/hour, plus tips of course. I am a psyc major after all so I could probably use all of this in my upcoming thesis.
Don't forget to tip your coffee girl!!

1 comment:

Mama Meeshell said...

When someone orders a coffe, you should ask them if they want that creamy dreamy or black as the starry night. I had a FLAMING coffe guy ask me this and I gave him an extra tip.