Friday, September 12, 2008

Hello Kate -

Glad to hear that the fungal formal was well attended and went off with greatness. I am also glad to hear that Philip maintained the correct party attitude for the evening. I am looking forward to the photos ! Vicky found them on Flickr, and I am planning on sitting down to review with a nice pint.

Germany was good, relaxing. We didn't do much while we were there, I mostly attempted some of my summer reading list. We stayed there until Monday, and then drove up to Dunkerque, France and crossed over on the ferry to Dover. We went through parts of Germany, Netherlands, Belgium, France, and England in one crammed up Renault Clio complete with two wee guinea pigs (who took up most of the room in the car.)

Tuesday, we went into London and spent the day shopping for jeans on Oxford street, and then dinner, and then pub time. The first pub was busy and nice, with a strange ale on tap that I never got the name of. The second pub we went to was over 400 years old, and had Samuel Smith on tap - like 8 different varieties. We got back to our friends at 3 in the morning, due to some confusion in regards to the trains and buses, and the above mentioned tap selection.

On Wednesday, we headed over to Cornwall, driving 6 hours or so from London. I even did some of the driving - though I nearly crashed on the first turn. We are now set at another friends house in Falmouth, who is taking a crash course in Chinese at Oxford. There is the regatta of the Tall Ships going on downtown, so lots of parades and things happening. The ships themselves are pretty incredible, and the woodworkings on some of them is much better than my window trimjob. Basically, about 20 sailships leaving from the harbour to Portugal in a speed race, which occurs once every ten years.

Yesterday, I had to go to orientation / international stuff, and meet with the course leader...my first day at school. I met with a handful of other internationals, including another Creative Advertising fellow from Russia.

Today, we went to the Eden Project, and that was pretty neat as well. They only have trees and plants, and do not culture any fungi - but I am sure that there is some. While there, we picked up an edible plants and fungi book, which should work out well for us. Tomorrow, we will go for a long walk to Mawnan Smith to check out our new place, along the beach and footpath. Hopefully, we will come across some brambles and maybe even some hedgehogs - both animal and fungal. The Tall Ships are supposed to start their race at 1300 , so we should be able to see them as they sail out of the harbour.

I can report that a few have mentioned Sarah Palin to me, as well as Troopergate.
I can also report that the pound is dropping against the dollar, which is a good thing for me.
Lastly, I can report that I have enjoyed three real ales thus far - an ale from 1880 Brauhaus, and an Eden Ale from the Eden Project. There was that first ale from The Chandos in London before dinner, which I don't remember the name of.

Hope you are all well and dandy !

Mark

2 comments:

Johnny G said...

In the old days one could travel abroad as an Alaskan and escape many of the evil stereotypes branded upon the average 'Merican. I fear these days are over... Good luck and don't forget to tip a few ales for your homies...

fun-gal said...

glad you are having a good time, its been pissing rain for over a week here. Did you get pet guinea pigs?? I wonder how moses will react.....